Saturday, July 6, 2013

Apple Pie -- Flea Market and Rain!

Today we left our cabin early in the morning so we could go to the Flea Market in Las Vegas, NM. We hadn't gone this year for one reason or another so I was really looking forward to the trip.

It takes 45 to 60 minutes to drive from Guadalupita to Las Vegas, NM; that is why we left before even having breakfast, just one cup of coffee. . . and I am a 2 cup in the a.m. kind of girl!!! LOL!!!

Well, when we got to Mora, 14 miles from the cabin, my husband says he can't wait any longer to eat.  So, we stopped at the local grocery store which is named Russell's. They have a small deli inside the small store. They sell, various items of prepared food.  The variety depends on the time of day.  Since it was 7:00 a.m., they were selling breakfast burritos -- which my husband loves!  He had one breakfast burrito. I was hoping for some chicken taquitos, but it was too early for those.

When we arrived in Vegas, we went straight for the flea market. Not too many people were in attendance but there were several vendors.  Most of the shoppers were at the Las Vegas Fiesta in the Old Town Plaza. One of the very big and popular fiestas that happen this time of year.

One of my favorite vendors at the flea market is the lady with all the baked goods. . . pies, cakes, biscochitos. Biscochitos are the state cookie for New Mexico. There is no baked cookie like them. They are simple but flaky, sweetened with sugar cinamon and a little anise. I have loved them since I was little and so has the whole state of New Mexico. I bought a dozen and a half. I also bought two apple pies. These are flat pies; not the traditional all american apple pie which is piled high with apples.  They are flat, about 3/4 inch thick with a very flaky crust, top and bottom, also sprinkled with sugar and cinammon.  DELICIOUS!  The reason I bought 2 is one for us and one for my husband's cousin. We were going to visit them after we finished in Vegas and it is his birthday. I thought an apple pie was perfect to celebrate his birthday with him and his wife.

Later as I perused all the vendors wares, "Lo and Behold!" there was a quilting frame for sale!  YAY! I had recently got one for myself, but my daughter in law was looking for one. I immediately bought it, only $30. I thought it was a bargain. It is in great shape. It isn't one of the fancy ones, just pieces of wood to put together.  But, very functional and my daughter in law really needed one.

Needless to say, the apple pie was a hit, the quilting frame was a hit and it didn't start raining until we got home!  What a great and perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment