Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fantastic Vintage Machine!

I just finished sewing my "Bonnie Hunter" style "crumb" strips with my crazy quilt squares to make the sewing machine cover shown below for my Vintage Singer Treadle Sewing Machine.

I did all the sewing on this treadle machine.  It is still a little sluggish. But with a little more TLC and elbow grease it will soon be flying! I have been cleaning and adjusting for several months.  The stitching is great but the treadling movement is hard and its supposed to be easy. So I figure I still have more work to do on the cleaning and adjusting.

   

I didn't use a pattern for the cover. Just measured from one end to the other of the machine and from the top to the bottom.  Then I cut rectangles and sewed them together with the crumb strips.  My sewing is a little crooked because I am just starting to learn how to treadle. 
 
Now that I finished the format of the cover I will embellish it with lots of beads and embroidery.  Since the machine is of a vintage age, I think the cover should be embellished in vintage style also.

 

2 comments:

  1. Love your vintage cover for your vintage machine! Maybe that treadle just needs a little oil where it rotates. Might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have put a little oil in it but I think I need to take the mechanism apart and clean the joints and then oil. I have been reading up on it and I will have to wait for warmer weather so I can do the work outside!

      Delete