Monday, May 11, 2015

Simple Needle case


After years and years of putting my needles on my spool of thread while working on my projects (see photo) I decided to make a simple needle case (book style).


I didn't want it to be too large so I cut the "cover" fabric about 4"x 6". Of course you can make it whatever size you want. Just remember to allow at least half an inch on all four sides to turn under for the finished hem.


The "pages" where needles and pins will be placed are sized 2 3/4" x 2 1/2". One side is bigger to allow for the "binding" edge where it will be sewn all together. I used three "pages" of leftover batting in black and white. I used black in the middle so it would be easier for my aging eyes to separate the individual pages.


Position the batting inside of the cover fabric to make sure there is enough room for the hems. Also make the back cover extend beyond the pages leaving enough to hem and to bring forward to close the book. 


Fold the hem of the front cover to where it will cover the pages. 


Bring the back cover forward to make sure it overlaps the front


Sew the front hem and sew all the hems around all sides. I used straight stitch but a decorative stitch will dress this up quite a bit.



Position your pages in the middle and sew through all the layers on the left side. Notice that the back cover extends beyond the front cover and the pages.



This is almost finished! I just need to decide what fastener I want to put on the cover to keep it closed.



This is the open view with the pages sewn in.

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. I plan on making one of these to keep with each individual project. They are super easy to make because they are not fancy.  Although if you want to decorate it with embroidery or quilting you can. If you make one of these, send me a photo and I will post it on my website and here in the blog. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. . . keep on quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment